Monday, September 6, 2010

Park City Marathon


It came and went just like that....I felt like we've been preparing for the Park City Marathon for months and it's already over! No matter how well prepared we thought we were, nothing could prepare us for what was ahead of us....hill after hill after hill.


On Friday night, August 20th, Brady and I loaded up on carbs by eating rolls and spaghetti at my mom and dad's house and then headed up to Park City to check into our hotel. Since the race started at 6:30 am on Saturday the 21st, it was a no-brainer to book a hotel room for the night. We drank lots of water and tried to get to bed early. When the alarm went off at 5:00 am, we were so tired, but had to get up and get ready! I always get pre-race jitters that leave me feeling sick to my stomach, but I gagged down a peanut butter and honey sandwhich and a banana and out the door we went.


We started the race and were feeling great up until about about mile 18 and we completely hit the infamous "wall." By this time, we had made a steady climb up numerous hills, miles of rocky, dirt roads and climbed over 2,000 feet in elevation...quite a task if you ask me. At mile 18 there was the steepest hill of the entire marathon (a horrible place for a hill) that we had to climb. I felt like I was in San Francisco by the look of the hill, but we made it, finally. Miles 20-26 were really hard, mentally and physically. We had heard that the real marathon begins at mile 20 and boy, was that the truth!


Although we completed the marathon, we finished over an hour longer than we had planned. I felt so accomplished, but at the same time felt disappointed because I had my sights set on finishing in a certain amount of time and that didn't happen. So, we plan to run the Salt Lake City Marathon in April to redeem ourselves! Call me crazy, but I'm really excited!
Running to the finish line!


Crossing the finish line



Mmmmmm, food


Thanks Karen, Mom & Dad for supporting us!



Yay...we can finally check it off the 'to-do' list

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Congrats to both of you! That is so exciting. So what did you finish at? I felt the same way about my finish time too. I have heard that PC is one of the hardest. Great Job!

Thompson Family said...

Way to go!! I think it's awesome that you guys did that! Congrats!

Ian, Kels & Lilly said...

YAY....that is so awesome. You guys look great.

Sean and Mekensy said...

I'm so proud of you guys!!! That is so awesome!! CONGRATS!

Brady and Britton said...

Thanks guys! I appreciate all your comments and congratulations. :)

Team Beardshall said...

Ha, good job for sure!

Alesha said...

You two are the bomb {dot} com! Loves!