Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Little Things in Life



The other day I was riding trax home from work and this old man, whom I have become acquantences with, came and sat down next to me and said "I have something for you". I had no idea what he was talking about so I excitedly asked, "what do you mean, you have something for me?" He then grabbed his plastic bag and pulled out this lei that he had made! I was so surprised! How sweet of him to make one for me! All the way home we talked while he continued to make more of these leis for his children and grandchildren. Let me give you a little background on this man...He is one of the most spiritual and humble men that I have ever met. He's from Tonga and came to the U.S. when he was a little boy. In our conversations I've noticed that everytime we talk about the church and the prophet, his eyes get watery; he has such a love for the gospel! One thing I find amazing about him is that he has 10 children and still works full-time at the age of 67!!
As I've gotten older, I've realized the little things in life, like a home-made lei, are what makes life so special! Thanks to all of you that do the "little" things for me, they mean more than you'll ever know!

7 comments:

Stacey said...

That is so cute! That is really nice of him... 10 kids WHAT? What does he do for work?

Joan Peterson said...

What a beautiful writer you are and how wonderful that you have grasped one of the great joys of life, "the little things". Your discription of this special friend brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. Exactly what is this lovely lie made of?? It certainly stands for much more than just an ornament.
Love
Nana
How beautiful you look in the picture!!!

Angela Strong said...

I love that he would take the time to make you one, but then you have taken the time to get to know him and listen and speak with him. You have a wonderful knack for getting to know people on a personal level and I think that is special in and of itself. I'm glad you have noticed the little things because I agree that it is only as you become wiser in years that you do notice those things. You go from the "me" complex to learning from others and appreciating them for their knowledge and worth in your life.

Kris and Brent said...

What a sweet experience, honey! At first when you said a man on TRAX gave this to you and then sat down next to you, I was a little worried.....but he sounds like a wonderful man! I'm glad you wrote about this!

M I N D Y said...

Yay! Hopefully you were able to add everyone. I love you sis! Now you're talking to strangers on trax....who are you? j/k. I love how you get to know people's hearts. I'm sure that you brighten up their days just as much as they brighten up yours.

Gina said...

Cute new back drop, cute old man and lei. That is cute that you have a little trax buddy. I feel like I was always avoiding that when I took trax, but everyone was kind of scary. It sounds like that man is really sweet and nice. Those little things do make a big difference huh?

Alesha said...

That is really sweet! He must think of you as one of his one.