Sunday, October 9, 2011

Layton Half Marathon

Brady and I ran the Layton half marathon yesterday and it was quite the experience. On Friday, we left work early to head up to my cousin Emily's wedding at Millcreek Inn. She looked beautiful and it was so great to be with all the Jensen's. We left straight from the wedding and headed up to Layton to pick up our race packets and check into our hotel. We checked in and picked up our packets then went to Olive Garden to do some good ol' fashioned carb loading. Mmmmm, breadsticks, and fettucine alfredo hit the spot.

With school and my new responsibilities at work, I haven't had that much time to really train for this race and neither has Brady. I didn't feel prepared for it, but knew I had to get geared up for it regardless. We went to bed somewhat early because we knew 5:30 a.m. would come all too soon. The alarm went off and I was dead tired! We followed the shuttle from the hotel to the park where we had to get on a bus and be shuttled to Antelope Island where the race started. It was a cold, cold morning with a lot of waiting around....not how you want the morning of your race to begin.

We got to Antelope Island at 7:05 a.m. and waited around in the freezing cold until a little before 8:30 a.m. - we had to wait for all the runners to get shuttled to the island. It was absolutely crazy! We finally started running and it started to warm up and was perfect running weather. Due to my lack of training, my IT band on my left leg was absolutely killing me so I had stop 3 seperate times because I felt like I couldn't even bend my knee. I was so annoyed! We finished the race, got our medals, had some food and headed home.

If you are ever considering signing up for the Layton half or full marathon, I don't recommend it to be honest. It was disorganized and an insanely boring course. I'm happy I did it, but it's nothing compared to the Salt Lake City Marathon, that's my favorite! I'm happy to mark another half marathon off my list and look forward to more in the future.

1 comments:

Alesha said...

You guys are the bomb! I want to run one, but dont know if I am up for it?!?! EEK!